DCS appreciates the sacrifice and contributions of veterans and military personnel. We value and welcome their experience, integrity, teamwork and commitment to selfless service—these are the same characteristics reflected in the values of the Department.
Military and veteran candidates who join DCS become employees of the state and are entitled to benefits including:
- Paid Military Leave - State employees earn 18 days of military leave per federal fiscal year.
- Leave and Paid Holidays - State employees earn 120 hours of sick leave annually and 120 to 168 hours of vacation leave, depending on the length of state service.
- Investment Plans-401(K) and 457: Peach State Reserves, the Georgia Retirement Investment Plan (formerly known as the Deferred Compensation Plan), allows state employees to invest for retirement using federal and state income tax deferral. Participants can select from a variety of funds that will most likely meet their investment objectives.
- Retirement Plan (mandatory): Employees of DCS participate in the Employees' Retirement System of Georgia. Employee and employer contributions are paid into the retirement fund for the welfare of the members and their beneficiaries. All benefits are paid from this fund. Service retirement requirements are: (1) Age 60 with at least 10 years of creditable service; (2) 25 years of service and be under age 60; or (3) 30 years of service at any age. Various monthly benefit options are available upon retirement.
- Insurance: A variety of group health, dental, vision, accidental death and dismemberment, and life insurance options are available to employees.
- Legal Insurance: State employees who have planned legal needs or desire assistance with unforeseen legal events have the option of choosing legal insurance.
- Long-term and Short-term Disability Insurance: State of Georgia employees have the option of choosing long-term and/or short-term insurance to provide income protection against the unexpected.
- Long-term Care Insurance: This plan is offered to State employees and some family members and covers a wide range of personal care, health, and social services for those who suffer from chronic disease or long-lasting disability.
- Credit Union: Employees are eligible to become members of the Georgia United Credit Union or the Department of Public Safety Credit Union. Both credit unions offer a variety of financial services including checking and savings accounts, personal, home and auto loans, credit cards, and check cards.
- Alternative Work Schedules: Alternative work schedules, including teleworking, provide employees the opportunity to work more flexible work schedules in order to balance work and their personal lives. Many jobs are suitable for an alternative work schedule.