RPH Frequently Asked Questions (Full List)

  • What does RPH pay for?

    RPH pays for short-term transitional housing (up to 6 months) and food access with pre-approved RPH providers.

  • What is meant by “food access”?

    RPH providers must make provisions to provide food to every resident at no cost to the resident during the RPH period. Examples of food access can include, but is not limited to: 1) Staff preparing meals for residents in a kitchen, 2) Providing food/groceries that the residents may cook for themselves, 3) assistance with resident application for food stamps.  Provision for food must be in place on a resident’s first day in the program.

  • What type of housing is provided through RPH?

    The type of housing varies with each program. Examples include residential-style housing, apartments, and shelters with dorm-style living. Residents may have shared bedrooms.

  • Will RPH pay for my rent or mortgage if I find my own apartment or house?

    No. RPH only provides funding for the individual placed with the approved RPH provider.  The monthly stipend is paid directly to the RPH provider. Funding is not available for spouses, children, or other family members of individuals placed through RPH.

  • Will RPH pay to house my spouse, children, parent(s), or other family members?

    No. RPH is only available to the individual who is under state probation or parole supervision or the participant in an approved felony accountability court, who also meets eligibility criteria.

  • I need residential substance abuse treatment. Can I receive that at an RPH program?

    Yes. Some RPH programs are substance abuse treatment providers accredited by GARR (Georgia Association of Recovery Residences), CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Recovery Facilities), DCH (Department of Community Health), or JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, also known as The Joint Commission).

  • Who is eligible for RPH placement?

    Individuals who are on STATE PAROLE/PROBATION with the Georgia Department of Community Supervision (DCS) and do not have a valid residence plan. Active participants in ACCOUNTABILITY COURTS (Felony Drug, Mental Health, Veterans, or Family Treatment) are also eligible if court criteria for homelessness has been met.

  • I have been convicted of a felony, but my period of parole/probation has ended. Am I eligible for RPH?

    No. Individuals must be under ACTIVE supervision of DCS or the Accountability Courts of Georgia (Felony Drug, Mental Health, Veterans, or Family Courts).

  • I am under federal supervision or have been released from a federal institution. Am I eligible for RPH?

    No. Individuals under federal supervision are not eligible.

  • I am on parole/probation in another state. Can I move to Georgia and be placed in RPH?

    No. RPH is only available to individuals under DCS supervision in Georgia.

  • I have a mental health diagnosis. Am I eligible for RPH?

    Yes, if you have a mental health level of 3 or lower, according to GDC criteria.

  • I have an HIV/AIDS diagnosis. Am I eligible for RPH?


  • Is RPH available to individuals who require handicap/wheelchair-accessible housing?

    Yes, some RPH providers are handicap-accessible.

  • I am a registrable sex offender. Am I eligible for RPH?

    Some sex offenders may be eligible. An individual must be classified as SORBB (Sexual Offender Registration Review Board) LEVEL 1 or 2 to be eligible. Individuals classified as Sexually Dangerous Predators are not eligible for RPH.

  • Can an individual who is in a state prison be released directly to an RPH facility?

    Yes, if the individual will be on active Georgia parole/probation after release from custody. The individual’s case manager can initiate the RPH assessment prior to release.

  • Can an individual who is in a county jail be released directly to an RPH facility?

    Yes, if the individual will be on active Georgia parole/probation after release from custody, which can be validated through the agency’s case management system. The individual’s Community Supervision Officer (CSO) can initiate the RPH assessment prior to release.

  • I am a family member/friend of an individual who is incarcerated. Can I request RPH placement for them?

    No. RPH requests must come from DCS, Department of Corrections (GDC), or Accountability Court staff. Ask the individual’s DCS supervision officer, GDC counselor/case manager, or court coordinator to submit an RPH request.

  • I am under DCS supervision and am homeless or about to become homeless. How can I get placed at an RPH facility?

    Notify your Community Supervision Officer (CSO) of your situation. Your CSO can submit an RPH request for you.

  • I am eligible for RPH. Do I have a choice on where I go?

    DCS does not guarantee placement in any specific program/area. Placements are based on the needs of the individual and availability of beds. However, DCS will attempt to accommodate requests to be placed in a specific RPH program or remain in a specific geographic area, if possible.

  • Will I have to follow rules/regulations while in an RPH program?

    Yes. Each RPH provider has rules and regulations regarding curfews, basic house rules, and expectations of behavior. Recovery residences will have requirements regarding substance abuse treatment. All rules and regulations will be explained to residents upon their arrival and provided to them in writing.

  • I am an employee of DCS, the Department of Corrections, or the Accountability Courts of Georgia. How can I request RPH placement for an individual under my supervision?

    Your request must be submitted through the online forms available to DCS, GDC, and CACJ employees. Please email [email protected] if you need assistance regarding linkage to the appropriate form.

  • I am interested in becoming an active provider. How do I apply?

    There are two application cycles per year, one in Spring and one in Fall. The schedule for the application cycle is as follows:

    • March (Spring) and September (Fall) - Complete the Intent to Apply form. The DCS Housing website will be updated with a link to the form from March 1 - March 31 and September 1 - September 30.
    • April (Spring) and October (Fall) - Attend an RPH Application Training Workshop. Several training sessions will be held throughout the state, so you can attend the one most convenient to you. A webinar will also be available if you cannot attend in person. Registration links will be provided to you via email after you submit your Intent to Apply.
    • May (Spring) and November (Fall) - Submit your RPH application. The deadline is the final day of the month.
  • What are the requirements for RPH properties?

    RPH applicants must provide a deed or current lease for their property/properties. If property/properties are leased, verification from the property owner(s) approving the use of each property for RPH is required. Applicants must also provide verification that each property is zoned appropriately according to local zoning and housing standards.

    Please refer to Section 13 (Habitability Standards) of the RPH Guidelines for all standards regarding bedrooms/bathrooms, square footage, living conditions, and safety.

  • How do I know if my property is zoned correctly?

    Every locality (county and/or city) has zoning codes which can differ based on your property location, zoning type, services offered, number of residents, or other factors. Contact your local planning/zoning authority to determine the specific requirements for your property/properties. The RPH Zoning Compliance Form is available for download on the DCS Housing website.

    RPH applicants must obtain written verification of zoning by providing a signed RPH Zoning Compliance Form, OR a letter from your local zoning/planning office on their official letterhead confirming that the property/properties (addresses must be included) are properly zoned for RPH purposes.

  • Do I have to be a nonprofit organization to apply?

    No. RPH applicants can be nonprofit, for-profit, or sole proprietors.

  • What paperwork will I need to submit for my organization upon initial application?

    Depending on your organization type, you will need to submit the following:

    • Nonprofit organizations must provide their 501(c)(3) tax-exemption determination letter and registration with the Secretary of State.
    • For-profit organizations must provide registration with the Secretary of State.

    Sole proprietors must register with the Georgia Department of Revenue as a sole proprietor and obtain a business license.

    Substance abuse recovery residences must submit proof of accreditation with one of the following:  GARR (Georgia Association of Recovery Residences), DCH (Department of Community Health/DATEP), CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities), or JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations).

  • What compensation will I receive?

    $750 - $850 per person (depending on the individual’s mental health levell) per month for up to six (6) months.

  • How will I be compensated?

    All invoices are created, signed, and processed electronically through Adobe Sign. Funds are dispersed via direct deposit.

  • Am I required to have a house manager?

    No, unless it is a requirement of a Recovery Residence accrediting organization, or if you intend to house 10 or more sex offenders. If your facility houses 9 or fewer sex offenders, on-call staff must be available to residents on a 24/7 basis.  Within any RPH facility, a person in this position could be beneficial in assisting the grantee with the most efficient operation of the program.

  • I and/or members of my staff have previously been convicted of a felony. Can I become an RPH provider?

    Yes, in some cases. Please refer to Section 5 of the RPH Guidelines for requirements regarding background checks for grantees and staff. RPH applicants and staff members with prior convictions for sexual offenses are not eligible.

  • I would like to provide housing for sex offenders. Are there any additional requirements?

    Yes. Please refer to Section 10 of the RPH Guidelines.

  • Where can I download the RPH Application?

    The RPH Application is revised as needed prior to each application cycle, and thus is not available for download. The application packet is provided to applicants during the RPH Application Workshops.  Completed applications can then be mailed, hand-delivered, or scanned/emailed in PDF format during the appropriate month.